Various accounts of my life's experiences as I continue my journey through the unknown portals of life. Accounts both past and present while looking to the future.

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Wow, What A Year!!

Well, it's Christmas time again.  It is a very joyous occasion when we celebrate the birth of Christ.

This has been a year of personal reflection for me and I have found that my focus for too long was on materialism, getting ahead in life, going up the corporate ladder, achieving great things and reaching one milestone after another, and having the mistaken notion that I was invincible.

This year everything that I had worked so hard for and achieved came crashing down all around me.  What I thought was important suddenly changed.  Everything that I had worked so many years to achieve was gone in less than a year.  The greatest thing I lost was my health.  I am now in a position where I must re-evaluate my priorities.

Was climbing the corporate ladder that important?  Was trying to be everything to everybody worth it?  Was trying to live up to the monumental expectations forced upon me by myself and others even possible to achieve?  Was sacrificing my own self awareness for the sake of pleasing others really making a positive difference in people's lives?

Okay, so yes, by human standards I had achieved success but was it really??

What were the costs?

My costs were much greater than any gains.  I'm not just talking about finances.  I'm talking about life itself.  What did it cost my family all of those years I was gone on business trips and working 12+ hour days.  Sure, we had nice things, we had material blessings, we were beginning to build our retirement nest egg, everything seemed to be looking up for us, with no end in sight.  We were living very comfortably and were also giving to the church and other charities.  We gave to individuals in need and felt such a blessing to be able to do so.

So, why then would God allow all of this to come crashing down all around me?  My career was over, my health has deteriorated greatly and all of our assets are gone.

My focus was misplaced.  Instead of focusing on God and His greatness, I was focusing too much on what the world had to offer and based my success on human standards instead on God's standards.

Success is more than the accumulation of things, advancing up the corporate ladder, pleasing others, achieving wealth, etc...

Success is first and foremost found in Jesus Christ.  HE is the reason for living.  HE is to be our focal point in life.  HE is the one that has designed us and planned our days before we were even born.

This year, I have found that all I ever really needed was Christ.  My family is a gift from God that I cherish very much. I count myself very blessed indeed with a wonderful loving family.

So what if we had to sell all of our assets.  So what if we end up losing our house.  So what if we end up losing our car.  These are only things.  They are STUFF.  Stuff can be replaced.

What is REALLY important in life are the relationships we hold dear.  Our relationship to God.  Our relationship with our family.  Our relationship with our friends.  Our RELATIONSHIPS are the true assets in this life.

My relationship with God should be my prime focus.  If I focus on God, everything and everyone else will come together as it was designed to do according to God's will. 

Our lifetime here on Earth is only microscopic compared to all of eternity.  I made a huge mistake by misplacing my focus and desire on the things of this world.  Now I am paying that price dearly.

However, I also know that it's never too late to change.  I believe God loved me and my wife so much that he allowed all of this to happen to us so that we would be drawn closer to Him and realize that HE is the only one we should depend on.  Not ourselves or anyone else, but only HIM.  God is really all we need.

So, now what?  Like I said, it's never too late to change.  It is going to be a long road back to health for me.  I am going to have to learn to accept new limitations, I'm going to have to learn to compensate for what I have lost.  I'm going to have to learn to deal with my past, warts and all.  Even so, I know that in the end, it will be worth it all.  I like that old hymn that says:
 

"it will be worth it all, when we see Jesus, life's trials will seem so small, when we see Christ; One glimpse of His dear face, all sorrows will erase, so bravely run the race, 'til we see Christ."

How about you my friend?  Where is YOUR focus today?  During this Christmas season and the years ahead, why not realign your focus and set it on Christ.  Let HIM be your basis for success.  Allow Him to finish the work He has started within you.  Begin by reading His Word and praying to Him DAILY.  He will guide you all of the way if you follow Him.

"My Lord knows the way through the wilderness, all I have to do is follow, my Lord knows the way through the wilderness, all I have to do is follow.  Strength for today, is mine all the way and all I need for tomorrow.  My Lord knows the way through the wilderness, all I have to do is follow." 


Merry Christmas everyone!  Christ is the greatest gift and is all that we will ever need.

The journey continues...





No comments: