Various accounts of my life's experiences as I continue my journey through the unknown portals of life. Accounts both past and present while looking to the future.

Thursday, September 17, 2009

A Victim's Mentality

Hello Readers,

Well, it is Thursday morning, 12:40 am as I write this. I sure have been doing much reflecting these past several weeks. I continue to struggle with my new imposed limitations and it sure isn't easy to say the least. However, as I reflect upon my present situation (with no end in sight), I realize that I must make a choice which will affect me the rest of my life. Do I continue to go down the road of self pity, dwelling upon what I cannot do, beating myself up in the process, or do I accept my given situation as God's will and embrace it with a humble spirit knowing that He is always by my side and only allows struggles to come into my life to make me a better person in the long run?

It is sooooo easy to give in to the victim's mentality as I have done and inadvertently isolate myself from those who truly do care and love me, including God himself.

I am reminded of a sermon my friend preached one time regarding friendship.... the illustration used regarded an individual who felt all alone and that her friends had abandoned her when in reality, she was soooo wrapped up in her own life and troubles, that SHE was the one who had distanced herself from her friends rather than the other way around. She discovered that she needed to place the needs of others before her own and focus on BEING a friend and take the focus off herself. When she did that, she became a different person and people were happy to be her friend and associate with her. She also learned to be content with her life. It's like the old saying, "to have friends, you need to BE a friend".

I am in the midst of the darkest and loneliest time in my life and I realize after careful reflection that my focus has been too much on ME and not enough on GOD and OTHERS.

Time is precious, Life is precious, Friends are precious, Family is precious. How unfortunate it is when one forfeits Time, Life, Friends and Family while they focus selfishly on self.

Relationships, Life and Time are too important to waste. We have a choice to either spend time worrying about ourselves or we can invest our time building our relationships with God, Family and Friends. Life is very short and our focus needs to be on things eternal rather than on the temporal aspects of our earthly pilgrimage.

As I continue to journey through life with all of it's pain, suffering and misfortunes... my desire and goal is to change my focus away from self and back to God and others. Yes, problems will continue, but as the song that's been playing in my head for the past several weeks says "His eye is on the sparrow, and I know he watches me". I pray for wisdom, strength and more faith to follow God wherever He leads me, even if it means poverty and strife. I know God will never leave me nor forsake me especially in my deepest time of need.

How about you?? What is happening in YOUR life. Are you focused on your circumstances, or are you focused on the One who is the giver of life and has promised never to forsake us.

I'm not perfect and have failed God in many ways as a human being, but I have never doubted his love for me and have decided to once again to take my hands OFF and let God have his way. I would recommend that YOU reflect upon your own set of circumstances and your relationship with God just as I have done. If you find yourself lacking and/or distancing yourself from the God who loves you unconditionally.... why not turn your focus back on Him and let him guide you through life one day at a time, one moment at a time... walking side by side with him.

I'm sure you've read "Footprints in the Sand". I have seen only one set of footprints in recent months and had given into the feeling that God was punishing me or at least refusing to intervene in my behalf...... however, I realize now that it's been during this time that he has been carrying me along and continues to do so.

I thank Him for his everlasting love and watchful care over me. I know that whatever my future holds, it is in HIS hands and there is no better place than that.

No comments: