Various accounts of my life's experiences as I continue my journey through the unknown portals of life. Accounts both past and present while looking to the future.

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Acceptance and Contentment

Hello Readers,

I had a good day at physical therapy on Monday.  Last week, I began going every M-W-F.  I go again tomorrow.  Looking forward to another good experience.

While there, I kept saying "I used to do (this or that)".  I finally realized what I was saying and told my therapist that my wife keeps reminding me that I need to quit focusing on what I "USED" to do and focus on what I CAN do.  He agreed and said to me "you need to play with the hand that's dealt you and keep playing".   I liked that statement and it is very true.  The important thing is NOT to give up. 

It is much easier to keep focusing on what "used to be" instead of accepting what IS.  Once I learn to accept what is, I will find myself to be more content and in a position for the healing process to work. 

Of course, this is easier said than done.  However, these past couple of days, I've been trying to change my focus and mindset to accepting what IS and realize that for some reason, God has chosen to change my life in such a way that has shaken me to my foundation. 

It has put me in a position of relying solely upon GOD rather than my own knowledge and ability.  I realize now that before, I was too self sufficient. 

I have a long way to go in the recovery process, however, I realize now that my sufficiency cannot rest on MY abilities, but totally upon God.

Whatever God's plan is for my future I want to be able to accept His plan wholeheartedly even if it should mean restricted abilities.  Only God can help me with becoming content, but at least now I'm WILLING to allow Him to do what He deems necessary to bring me to that position.

How about YOU?   Are you having difficulty accepting life as you know it today or are you content with the way you are living and the life you have?   In either case, God is the answer and will provide the ability for you to make any necessary changes to help you in your time of difficulty and thus become more content. 

None of us have "arrived".  We are all on a journey and I know beyond a shadow of doubt that our journey is made much easier when we rely upon God for our strength and wisdom.

So, let's quit fooling ourselves and wrestling with what "might have been" or "what used to be" and start living for today....  "play the hand that has been dealt you and KEEP PLAYING."   Let's not give up.  Life is too short and too precious and well worth the living.  The journey continues.

John



 

1 comment:

Rena said...

You are starting to become self-aware of what is going on. Nita is right, do not focus on what had been and focus on what is. Sometimes we need to learn to be comfortable with where we are at before we can venture out into new territory.