Various accounts of my life's experiences as I continue my journey through the unknown portals of life. Accounts both past and present while looking to the future.

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Coping Skills????

Dear Readers,

Well, as I continue on my pilgrim's journey through life, I find myself faced with an unknown future. I believe that God has His hand upon me and will guide me safely through this portal, but what lies ahead only He knows for sure.

I find myself wrestling with many different emotions stemming from my inability to perform at the level I once did before my mini-stroke in August of 2008. Feelings of inadequacy and loss are paramount. I sense myself losing such things as my sense of independence, dignity and self worth. I once was one who contributed to society and to the lives of others and now I feel that I have become a burden to society and those around me.

Coping skills are slow in coming. There are many limitations that I am resisting and yet realize deep down that sooner rather than later I will need to accept them or continue to suffer from self imposed regret and failure. Success is measured in so many different ways. At this point in my journey, I'm not certain how to measure success. All I can see is the "inability" to perform at the level I once did and to me that is NOT my idea of success.

I find myself struggling more and more in this area..... if you, my readers, have any suggestions on how I might better cope with the multiple chronic health conditions with which I find myself, I would be open to hear your suggestions. Please be kind as this is a very sensitive area for me but yet I know I MUST get past this hurdle if I am to "succeed" in life under these new circumstances and physical limitations.

I will be heading for Mayo's Clinic in the near future and hope to find not only diagnosis but effective treatment and prognosis.

Those of you who know me personally know how difficult this is for me knowing the active lifestyle I once enjoyed. I am eager to hear from anyone who has some constructive "words of wisdom" in dealing with my fractured physical, emotional and yes, psychological state.

One thing I know for sure, God is still faithful and hasn't forsaken me. I know He cares and I am attempting to draw closer to him. I'm looking for "practical" steps which will aid in developing coping skills. Any suggestions/ideas out there???

Maybe you have experienced similar struggles in YOUR life, It would be helpful to hear how you managed to cope while facing major life changing circumstances.

Feel free to comment or email me. I'd love to hear from you. All are welcome to respond.

No comments: